- Immune mediated (i.e., auto-immune) conditions, such as immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA), and immune-mediated thrombocytopenia (ITP)
- Inflammatory conditions, such as pancreatitis, hepatitis, and bronchitis
- Liver shunts
- Tick-borne diseases (e.g., Lyme disease)
- Infectious diseases (e.g., leptospirosis)
- Diabetes mellitus
- Cancer (e.g., lymphoma, melanoma)
A number of complex disorders may present as some of the diseases mentioned above, and can be difficult to manage without consulting a specialist. In some cases, an incorrect diagnosis may reduce the likelihood of long-term recovery or survival.